Wednesday, February 9, 2011

We Have a New Brother!

This is Diego. I havent written too much about him and I havent posted too many pictures of him because for the past 3 1/2-ish years, he's been a foster placement in my parents home. Since he was in protective custody, we werent allowed to put pictures of him on the internet.
I will never forget the first time I met Diego. My parents got a call that the state had a placement for them. They went together to pick him up. When he first walked in the door, I was a little shocked. Diego was the smallest little 4yr-old that I have ever seen. He had a scared look in his eyes, nothing but skin and bone and was clutching a blanket. He hardly spoke, partly because he was shy and partly because he came from a home that had English and Spanish spoken and he didnt really know how to speak.
He struggled a lot. He pushed my parents away as they tried desperately to love him. Lucky for Diego, he was placed with my parents, who pulled him back in every time he pushed away. He would build up a wall and my mom and dad would knock it right down. It took time, but Diego finally was able to feel safe with my parents. He knew they would feed him, keep him warm and he knew that they would protect him.
My parents were not necessarily planning on adopting when they became a foster home, but Diego was special. I wont splurge too much detail, but Diego was always meant to be a part of the Carlson family. We are all so thankful that he is now officially adopted, after such a long road with many bumps in it. Diego, we all love you. I would say,"welcome to the family" but I feel in my heart that you have always been a part of us. So instead I will say "welcome home".







4 comments:

bdoyle said...

This is so sweet. I got pretty choked up reading it. I hope you're having fun in AZ!

Lucy said...

Thank-you Lisa, we always knew there was someone else waiting to come home.
The best part of all is to know he has six strong and compassionate brothers and sister who have opened their arms completely.
We love you!

Jayson, Kim, and Lotta Carlson said...

You seriously write so well... Everything I would have said, but couldn't find the words for. What an amazing quote on the bottom as well.

I might link to your post if that's ok :)

Jeff and Lindsey said...

Lees - this is unrelated but I thought it was cute - last night Emma says "you know what I love about Arizona? - Jon and Lisa and Paxton live there"

:)

Hope you guys are settled in and having fun - congrats to your family. You're missing really miserable weather here!