Wednesday, May 27, 2009

me and Jon, in the back of a cop car...

Last night, Jon and I were driving to Chiles to have dinner with some friends of ours. As we neared the restaurant, Jon sees a silhouette of a man walking in the middle of the road. When we realize he is walking across, Jon slammed on his brakes and narrowly avoided hitting him. Unfortunately, the car headed in the same direction next to us wasnt so quick to react. They hit the man who wasnt even running to get out of the way. He flew over the top of the car and landed half way in our lane. Again, we almost hit him but Jon swerved out of the way in time. If youve ever seen Meet Joe Black, you'll know exactly how it looked. We both get out, already on the phone with 911. Its raining and traffic is pilling up. The man was breathing but not responsive. Jon kept talking to him and I went to the poor girl driving who hit him who was nothing short of hysterical. All I kept thinking (and I KNEW Jon was thinking the same) was that it was almost us. WE almost hit him. I have no idea how I would have been reacting. The ambulance arrived and took him to the hospital. The officer heading up the investigation had both of us get in his car because it was raining. Ok, so we werent in the cop car because we were going to jail. But it still was weird looking over at Jon sitting next to me on that hard bench and with red and blue lights flashing all around us. We both gave our written and verbal statements and headed on our way. We havent heard if the man hit is ok. I still cant believe we saw what we saw last night. I am SO THANKFUL that Jon was paying attention. Thats actually the 2nd time we've almost hit someone walking across the street at night. Cross walks, People!!!!

6 comments:

T+C=N said...

Luce! That is so scary!!
Im so glad you like the boo.. Im excited about it too! You HAVE to watch "The Business of Being Born" if you havent. Its really good and informative.
I also applique my onesies and then I just hand stitch around them. and what is the diaper bag link?

The Chambers said...

Umm ok that's freaky. I would have been hysterical just being an onlooker, let alone acutally hitting the man. You guys are blessed! and fast reactors...great job.

The Carlson Family said...

Holy crap. I would have been a complete wreck- I can't beleive you guys saw that!!! I'm so glad you're both ok!!!

Jenna said...

That is seriously the strangest thing! You were definately blessed in that situation!

Lucy said...

enough of the drama please!

Tina said...

What a crazy, scary story!