Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Most Terrifying Moment

fact: Killer bees will pursue an enemy 1/4 mile or more
fact: A single hive contains approximately 40-45,000 bees
fact: A queen can lay 3,000 eggs in a day
fact: Killer bees DO thrive in Arizona

So today I was folding laundry in my room when I noticed Franklin watching a fly. A fly will keep that dog distracted for hours so I was glad for his little companion. As I neared my window where the two were playing, I heard an abnormally loud buzzing for a house-fly. Then I caught a glimpse of it and realized with sheer horror that it was a bee. I HATE BEES. I am so deathly afraid of them that I hyperventilate and run at the near sight of one. Seriously, one of my biggest fears. Anyway, luckily this bee had landed on the screen part of my partially open window. I quickly closed it and went on the outside and dowsed it with bleach spray. Jon shortly afterward got home for lunch and chuckled at my ghetto-rigged bee trap. We had lunch then both left, he back to work and I just down the street to pick up some cleaning supplies and milk. When I got home, I let the dogs out and opened the back door for them to go outside. Not even a minute later a bee flew just before my face! I ducked down and watched it near the back door. Thinking it might just fly back out, I left the door open. Then one, two, THREE more bees flew in. I FREAKED OUT!!! I shut the door and ran into my room. Apparently I called Jon's cell and left a message although I don't remember that part. He called back and I, in tears, told him what was going on. He told me to hang on and that he would call the front office. Somehow I got up the nerve to go back out. All three bees were now in our windows stuck behind the blinds. I sprayed them too with bleach, freaking out every time one of them got mad and began to swarm. I answered a knock at my door literally in tears holding a red chewed up flip flop and my bottle of bleach. Two of the maintenance guys came in who I know were both trying hard not to laugh. I must have been quite a sight! They checked for any hives around my windows and balcony and looked for any live bees still inside. They must have all died from toxic bleach poisoning because they couldn't find a single one. I was SO embarrassed. They left and told me to call them if I needed one of them to come and kill any more bees. Its all a blur to me now because I seriously was on the verge of blacking out. Even now, Im still a little sweaty and shaky from the terrifying experience.

I would quite literally die of fear if this were me. Just looking at it freaks me out. I dont even like honey because Im afraid a bee will be in it!


No comments: