Sunday, February 22, 2009

I Like Us



Today Jon and I spent a good portion of our afternoon on the couch. I was all cozied up next to him, reading my photography text book and he was looking up random stuff online (Google is our best friend). Our blinds were partially open allowing the overcast sky with its occasional bursts of light to creep through ever so slightly, creating the perfect ambiance for our just-the-two-of-us time. I looked up at him and realized to myself how long we had gone without saying a word. Its these moments that I get to ponder just how perfect the two of us are for eachother. I broke the silence just long enough to tell Jon that there wasnt a soul on Earth that I could possibly be more happy to be sitting next to right then. He looked at me with that cute smile that he often does and he doesnt even need to say a word. We both know. Its those moments, not the elaborate gestures and public displays(although much appreciated), that I am most greatful for. Because its in the private and intimate moments when the Lord manifests his perfect alignment. When we actually see his plan that brought us together.

So Ive written a couple of mushy posts and Ive gushed about my wonderful husband and our "newfound love" but I have to add the reason behind that. Yes, I do love shouting to world how wonderful Jon is and I do want the world to know how happy we are. But I also want anyone who might ever read this, to know that our marriage is so "picture perfect" because Jon and I have chosen to make it that way. Im not going to pretend that we're experts on marriage. We havent read all the books, we dont tape Dr Phil and yes, we do have our not-so-fun moments. But we both know that neither of us is perfect, that times will be hard and that we will only be as happy as we set ourselves up to be. If there was one piece of advice we could pass on it would be this: make a true sincere effort to like each other. Im not talking about love, hopefully thats not so much of an effort. When you try to like someone, you focus on the good in each other. You forgive the imperfections. All you see is the good because thats all youre looking for. Everything just kinda falls into place with that attitude. Dont believe me? Or think thats slightly simple minded (or whatever) than I challenge you to try it. Try and really, REALLY like your husband or wife and you will see for yourself the difference it will make in every single aspect of your marriage.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

SO TRUE. Love it Lisa, being in like is just as important as being in Love.

-Jenna

P.S. My blog is blocked so to be a member of my special club email me at jennawinters@gmail.com so I can add your email address.

dani said...

I totally agree! I love those moments when you can just relax and realize how lucky you are to have eachother! And it is definatly alot harder to 'like' your spouse sometimes haha.

I'm glad your so happy! :)

Heidi said...

I so agree! It's so nice to hear you praising and loving your husband when so often these forums are used for complaining.

Being thoroughly happy myself, I'm so glad that you get to experience heaven on earth too!

The Carlson Family said...

That's the absolute truth! Mike's my absolute best friend.

Nat said...

Uh... made me cry! Totally accurate advice... It's not always easy- but people who WANT to be happy CAN be happy.
I am so thankful you love my little brother just that much and you realize how great you can be together. I love a little mush now and then... :)