Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mud Island

I post a lot of pictures. I also write some long entries. But I know most of you just look at the pictures. Thats what I do 2/3's of the time with your blog! So feel free to skim over the words and just oogle at my adorable baby and sexy husband :)
Last week Jon and I went to Mud Island. We always seem to find ourselves doing the most unknown and random things. Neither of us knew really what Mud Island was but we were in downtown Memphis, saw the sign, and said "why not?" Because of that way of thinking, we have done some awesome and cool things and also some not-so-interesting things.
Mud Island begins on the edge of the Mississippi River. You buy a ticket, go up am escalator and ride a suspended car across half the river to a small island island in the middle. On Mud Island, there are a couple of gifts shops, a MI River Museum, a scale model of the MI River and a lot of cool artwork and views of the river and Memphis.


Most of the experience is outside and it gets VERY hot here right now. Its safe to say all three of us sweated a pound or two while we were there but honestly, it was just nice to be doing something all together.

Like I said, sweaty. Even Paxton! Behind him is the "Pyramid" which used to be something but now sits vacant. Any bidders? Rumor is that the sporting goods store Cabela's is in talks to buy it and turn it into a crazy store/entertainment venue.
Here I am by one of the murals. The King is everywhere in this city and this city is definitely proud of him!

The scale model of the Mississippi River was really cool. People were free to walk in it which was very nice considering the crazy heat we were all enduring!
Here is a section of it from above. This thing was so HUGE! I wish I could have gotten a pic of the whole thing!

A view from the suspended car. I gotta hand it to Memphis: its a pretty cool city!

3 comments:

Jayson, Kim, and Lotta Carlson said...

so is that all you do? look at the pictures huh... jk.

the scale model of the mi river looks awesome. looks like a fun city!

The Carlson Family said...

Graceland, Lisa...Graceland. Stop with all the distractions and just do it already, ok? I needs me some Elvis.


P.S. Your baby and husband ARE very hot, as are you- and I don't just mean sweaty.

Jon Lisa and Paxton said...

We keep thinking about Graceland but honestly, its like 30 bucks a piece for the basic tour! So we just dont know if its worth it...